Introduction-Peoria’s Medical Mafia
Medical mafia—I have never forgotten when a well-known Peoria physician used this term to describe for me how the medical system operates here in River City. Physicians and institutions in central Illinois sometimes make decisions based on what is best for their bottom line rather than the patient’s health. Greed motivates this situation and fear—fear of job loss and other financial punishments, fear of ostracization by a close knit community—keeps it in place. The term medical mafia perfectly explains much of the four-year saga I have been on since being fired from OSF St. Francis Medical Center in 2001.
In the hopes that constructive changes can be made regarding some dangerous situations, I want to share my experiences with as many people as possible. After years of attempting to work within the confines of OSF and the Catholic Diocese of Peoria, I finally realized that there is no adequate checks and balances within either system. Silence and denial are integral components to stifle ideas. Although not ideal by any means, a weblog (blog) seems the best way to disseminate this information.
My objectives are to detail serious problems related to OSF, Emergency Medical Services in Peoria, The Catholic Diocese of Peoria, and Haitian Hearts. I will show how the problems involving all four entities are linked. I will discuss how powerful men and women can hurt the not-so-powerful people in central Illinois as well as sick Haitian children needing heart surgery.
The first step toward change is an awareness of the problem. I want to educate people as to how these organizations really operate. I have 4 years of letters, articles, and notes of conversations that I have used in this blog. These sources will provide evidence for the events I will describe. I will include names at times and will leave other names out to protect people from injury.
The blog is divided into 3 main sections: OSF, Haitian Hearts, and Emergency Medical Services in Peoria. All are written in as much of a chronologic order as I could to keep 4 years of material as understandable as possible.
It is possible this site will anger powerful people and institutions. If I am told to “cease and desist” from further writing, I will let you know and take appropriate action. If changes occur in systems that our failing us now, I will also let you know.
John Carroll, M.D.
- Introduction--Peoria's Medical Mafia
- Keith's Letter
- Conversations with Keith Steffen
- Keith Steffen and the Apostolic Christian Communit...
- Conversations with George
- Conflict of Interest
- OSF-AMT Relationship
- Emergency Room Overcrowding
- OSF Emergency Room Patient Satsifaction
- Fear at OSF
- Conversation with Sister Canisia
- Conversations in Church
- Sister Judith Ann
- Conversations With Chris
- Ethics Committee at OSF
- Ethical and Religious Directives for Catholic Heal...
- Patricia Gibson and Monsignor Rohlfs
- Picketing OSF
- Bishop Jenky Haitian Hearts Meeting---February, 20...
- Bishop Jenky's Threat
- Catholic Diocese Abandons Haitian Hearts
- Tom Carroll's Letter to Bishop Jenky---September, ...
- Bishop Jenky Rejects Catholic Tribunal Court
- Bishop Jenky's Response to Tribunal---November 17,...
- Paul Kramer--Executive Director Children's Hospita...
- OSF Cuts Haitian Hearts Funding--July, 2002
- Slow Down Surgery--Part I
- Slow Down Surgery--Part II
- Letter Regarding Delay of Surgery---November, 2002...
- Perfume, Pets, and Pediatrics
- Linda Arnold--OSF Foundation
- Letter to Illinois Attorney General---January 15, ...
- Willie's Pacemaker
- Jackson is Dying
- Joe Piccione---Ethics vs. Practice
- Diane's Letter to Joe Piccione and Patricia Gibson...
- Pleading OSF for Jackson's Life
- Letter to Sister, Keith, and Paul re: Jackson Jean...
- Jackson Jean-Baptiste Forum Article
- Jackson's Letter to Sister Judith Ann
- Washing Jackson's Feet
- Jackson Jean-Baptiste's Obituary
- Children's Hospital of Illinois Advisory Board
- Jackson Jean-Baptiste and Keith Steffen
- Jackson Shouldn't Have Died
- Emergency Medical Systems Failure in Peoria
- Peoria Journal Star Articles
- Firehouse Forum
- Cardiac Arrest
- Basic Drugs
- More Fear
- Trust in Physicians
- Questions for George, Rick, and Andrew
- On the Take
- Open Letter to Peoria Medical Society---January 6,...
- Questions About Matrix Consulting Group
- The Matrix Report
- Should Peoria Fire Department Sell Its Only Amubla...
- Let Peoria Fire Department Operate its Ambulance
- 19 Minutes Is Too Long
- Ambulance Monopoly Unhealthy for City
- Peoria City Council--August 9, 2005
- Peoria's Greed
- Peoria City Council---February 7, 2006
- ▼ March (64)