Jackson Jean-Baptiste Forum Article
To: email@example.comSubject: Forum submission
About 100 years ago Finley Peter Dunne stated, “The job of a newspaper is to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.” In this case Haitian children who desperately need heart surgery need to be comforted, and Peoria’s OSF, our one billion dollar health care industry, needs to be afflicted.
Haitian Hearts is in Haiti now, and we are caring for a 21-year-old young man named Jean-Baptiste. He was operated on at OSF 6 years ago when he underwent a successful valve repair. He presented to us 10 days ago in acute congestive heart failure. His entire body was swollen with excess fluid, and each breath was difficult for him. Jean Baptiste couldn’t eat, sleep, or walk and stared at us with scared yellow eyes.
Jean-Baptiste needs a new heart valve. I have pleaded with OSF since May to accept him again and have offered OSF Administration $20,000 for his care. (Haitian Hearts donated over 1.1 million dollars to OSF for Haitianchildren’s’ surgeries in the past.)
Many people in the Peoria area,including his previous host family, have attempted to contact OSF during the last week to advocate for Jean-Baptiste. All of our efforts have resulted in no official answer from OSF regarding their patient. (Othermedical centers shy away from patients like Jean-Baptiste because he has been operated on in the past and is more complicated because of his previous surgery.)
The main reason that Jean-Baptiste and other OSF Haitian Hearts patients are being abandoned by OSF’s Administration and legal team is due to my public criticism of OSF and its dangerous conflict of interest with Advanced Medical Transport (AMT) in Peoria. They are monopolizing emergency care when someone calls 911. With OSF’s total support, AMT is the only agency that can give advanced life support or transport emergency patients in Peoria. I would think that if OSF and its political and business supporters in the area did not feel challenged by my allegations, OSF would be more than happy to accept Haitian Hearts money and appear to be following the Sister’s philosophy that insists that no one is turned away…not even Haitians.
My hope for the Journal Star is no different than Mr. Dunne’s. The afflicted may someday be their own family members after a bungled response to a 911 call in Peoria. And for Jean-Baptiste, his discomfort is inhumane, and OSF’s refusal to treat him needs to be investigated and exposed by the Journal Star.
John A. Carroll, M.D.
- Introduction--Peoria's Medical Mafia
- Keith's Letter
- Conversations with Keith Steffen
- Keith Steffen and the Apostolic Christian Communit...
- Conversations with George
- Conflict of Interest
- OSF-AMT Relationship
- Emergency Room Overcrowding
- OSF Emergency Room Patient Satsifaction
- Fear at OSF
- Conversation with Sister Canisia
- Conversations in Church
- Sister Judith Ann
- Conversations With Chris
- Ethics Committee at OSF
- Ethical and Religious Directives for Catholic Heal...
- Patricia Gibson and Monsignor Rohlfs
- Picketing OSF
- Bishop Jenky Haitian Hearts Meeting---February, 20...
- Bishop Jenky's Threat
- Catholic Diocese Abandons Haitian Hearts
- Tom Carroll's Letter to Bishop Jenky---September, ...
- Bishop Jenky Rejects Catholic Tribunal Court
- Bishop Jenky's Response to Tribunal---November 17,...
- Paul Kramer--Executive Director Children's Hospita...
- OSF Cuts Haitian Hearts Funding--July, 2002
- Slow Down Surgery--Part I
- Slow Down Surgery--Part II
- Letter Regarding Delay of Surgery---November, 2002...
- Perfume, Pets, and Pediatrics
- Linda Arnold--OSF Foundation
- Letter to Illinois Attorney General---January 15, ...
- Willie's Pacemaker
- Jackson is Dying
- Joe Piccione---Ethics vs. Practice
- Diane's Letter to Joe Piccione and Patricia Gibson...
- Pleading OSF for Jackson's Life
- Letter to Sister, Keith, and Paul re: Jackson Jean...
- Jackson Jean-Baptiste Forum Article
- Jackson's Letter to Sister Judith Ann
- Washing Jackson's Feet
- Jackson Jean-Baptiste's Obituary
- Children's Hospital of Illinois Advisory Board
- Jackson Jean-Baptiste and Keith Steffen
- Jackson Shouldn't Have Died
- Emergency Medical Systems Failure in Peoria
- Peoria Journal Star Articles
- Firehouse Forum
- Cardiac Arrest
- Basic Drugs
- More Fear
- Trust in Physicians
- Questions for George, Rick, and Andrew
- On the Take
- Open Letter to Peoria Medical Society---January 6,...
- Questions About Matrix Consulting Group
- The Matrix Report
- Should Peoria Fire Department Sell Its Only Amubla...
- Let Peoria Fire Department Operate its Ambulance
- 19 Minutes Is Too Long
- Ambulance Monopoly Unhealthy for City
- Peoria City Council--August 9, 2005
- Peoria's Greed
- Peoria City Council---February 7, 2006
- ▼ March (64)